Sunday, July 17, 2016

Happy Planner -> Bullet Journal: How I made my life even easier!!

When I was a stay-at-home mama, I was busy with two babies at the same time. I was running all day, cramming in chores when they slept, wolfing down dinner alongside my husband after they went to bed at 7:00, scrambling to keep them both alive and as un-harmed as possible. I was busy, but there wasn't much to keep track of. Poop, food, bottles, poop, clothing changes, poop, chores, repeat.

When I took on a part-time job working from home, suddenly my schedule exploded, because around this time I also started coming into different responsibilities that came along with home-ownership, toddlerhood, doggie ownership, and general life. So, when I discovered the Happy Planner, I was elated. But then....

Oh, but then.

I also discovered Bullet Journaling: yet another beautiful organizational system created by Ryder Carroll. The most fun part about BuJos is that they are created exclusively by the user, with Ryder's tips and various blog resources from BuJo users across the world. Bullet Journals (according at least to my personal interpretation) are essentially a glorious visual display of any and everything you want to keep track of in your life. The possibilities are endless. I will go into more detail as to what I include in my personal BuJo in a minute.


Index page with fold-out color coded key (there are corresponding color tabs on each page)


Left: "A Year In Pixels: 365 Inside my head", which features a box for each day of 
each month and a color coded chart to indicate my moods each day.
Right: Focus Page "My Addictions"

When everything really came together for me was when I realized that I could COMBINE my Happy Planner with my Bullet Journal. Here's why I did it:
1. The removable pages in a Happy Planner make it SO much easier to plan out and draw out your bullet journal. I bought a pack of MAMBI's note/graph paper and I use that for my BuJo. I recycled an old Happy Planner divider to specify where my BuJo would go in the planner.
2. If you have fully invested in the Happy Planner and you already have extra stuff laying around (as I did), you can recycle parts of your old HPs into a shiny new bullet journal all on its own. You can keep your BuJo in your actual planner, or take old covers, rings and pages and make an entirely separate one JUST for your Bullet Journal!
3. It's far more forgiving than a standard journal. You don't have to destroy things by ripping out pages, so if you make a mistake, and you're as OCD as I am, you can just remove the page cleanly and put a new one in without sacrificing anything. You could also glue a coloring page over the page you made the mistake on, glue two Happy Planner pages back-to-back to hide it, whatever you want to do. But the point is, if you use something similar to, say, a leather-bound journal, you don't have to rip or cut pages out and compromise the beauty of your finished journal.
4. Happy Planner decorations work beautifully for Bullet Journals ;) Washi tape, stickers, anything you like!
5. I am obsessive-compulsive and I want everything in my life to be in order... however, that does not mean that I have to use five different systems to stay organized! I've condensed all my tools and methods into one gorgeous little book!
6. IN THIS SAME JOURNAL that I created from Happy Planner materials, I also have my MAMBI home planner and recipe book. So basically, I have an everyday planner in one book, and all the rest of my stuff in another, with the option to combine the two into one big book if I so choose! That's why I love the Happy Planner system so much: it's so VERSATILE!


Savings Tracker pages

If you haven't been introduced to Bullet Journaling yet, please go check out my planning and journaling board for all kinds of awesome ideas for your own BuJo. You can track everything from personal goals, to habits, to finances, to books you want to read... the list is ENDLESS, and there are so many tutorials out there on how to learn hand-lettering and different banners and dividers to use in your journal/planner.

Check it out! I promise you won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment